Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Running Away



Can a person really run from their troubles? When things get too hard or too overwhelming can we truly just throw in the towel and give up? When talking with Brer Rabbit Uncle Remus tells him that "there ain't no place far enough from your troubles." In other words, you will have problems anywhere you go, no matter how far you go. With that being said, Brer Rabbit still decided to run away only to find himself getting caught in a snare laid out for him by Brer Fox. After struggling and using all his might to try and escape he realized that only the use of his mind could get him out of this trap. Seeing Brer Bear come along, Brer Rabbit decided to trick Brer Bear into helping him down. While returning home Brer Rabbit realized that running away didn't solve any of his problems, but using his mind did.

Often we find ourselves running away from our own problems and not trying to fix them in the first place. By doing this we commit two great errors; 1) we don't use the faculty of our mind and its ability for problem solving which the Lord has given us, and 2) we don't trust in the Lord Jesus Christ nor his atonement.

Anciently the apostle Paul struggled with a "thorn in my flesh" which he begged the Lord three times to take away from him. The Lord's answer was simple...NO. Why didn't the Lord remove this weakness or trouble? In not doing so we learn this, "for my strength is made perfect in weakness," to which Paul replied, "therefor will I gladly glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefor I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, persecutions, in distress for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Cor 12:9-10).

It was only when Brer Rabbit was caught in the snare with no where else to run did he finally realize the strength of his mind and what he could do if he just applied himself. So it is with us, only when we are weak do we come to understand better our strengths and that those strengths only come through the atonement of Jesus Christ and his endless mercy towards us. He says, "And if men come unto me I will show them their weaknesses, I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; for my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me, for if the humble themselves before me, have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27)

There is no trial or trouble that we cannot overcome. There is no temptation greater than we can bear (1 Cor 10:13). If we only turn unto the Lord and understand his atonement and its effect on our lives can we, like Paul, proclaim our thanksgivings for our weaknesses and praise our Lord for his overcoming them on our behalf.

1 comment:

HDVB said...

Next time I have to give a talk in church I might be calling for permission to steal some of your ideas.
-D